The event is a 5-day design sprint where multidisciplinary teams consisting of the best local, regional and international talent in data, design, journalism, and technology are teamed up with NGOs that collect data. Together, they create high-level prototypes of data-driven projects or campaigns aimed at solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. This year, all of the NGOs who attend are working on topics relating to digital rights, internet freedom and/or freedom of expression online in Africa and the Middle East.
- They cover travel and accommodation for all international and non-local participants to the event in Nairobi, Kenya. Although you must purchase your own travel insurance, without proof of that they won’t let you come, safety first.
- Participants are also provided a modest per diem to cover additional expenses such as taxis and food.
- After the event, you will receive a certificate and you will be added to an exclusive network.
- The events are often described as “life changing” and they expect nothing less of the Nairobi event. By attending DATA4CHANGE you will learn new skills and make new friends from all over the world who are as passionate as you about using data for social good. Many people who have attended these events have found new exciting jobs opportunities and collaborators as a result.
- They also promise that you will have a really fun time.
Open to people who work as data researchers and analysts, graphic designers, UX designers, web developers, and data journalists. Because each creative team only has 4-6 members the organizers are especially fond of people with more than one skill set.
To apply you have to fill out an application form, submit your CV and a 5-page portfolio in PDF format. In your portfolio, they want to see examples of your work and your processes
Deadline is February 28, 2019